I wrote about morphs a couple of years ago for ShoppingCartDisco, my opinion hasn’t changed but if anything they are becoming even more popular, I am not going to out anyone specifically (I don’t want that shitstorm on me) but I am going to say why I hate morphs, and why they are doing a disservice to SecondLife creators and photographers.
1) Morphs are lazy – instead of taking the time to find a location, or set up your studio you are just taking a close up face shot, ignoring everything about the secondlife avatar apart from the eyes, nose and mouth. A good quality SecondLife image takes time to set up, from finding the right place, the right pose, the right outfit and fiddling with windlight or shadows, I’ve heard Morphers state ‘its takes an hour in PS’ so what? it takes me that long and more to set up an inworld shot from start to finish.
2) You don’t need hair, clothes or poses to have a morph picture – most SL photographers/bloggers have an inventory stuffed with poses, props, hairs, clothes, shoes, but to be a morpher you dont need anything but a skin and eyes, we all know the avatar mesh is awful, but SL content creators have worked magic by making outstanding creations that make avatars look amazing, do you really think that ripping a image of a bird in a bikini from google images and slapping on a few sl details look better than a great inworld shot?
3) They look ridiculous – however ‘good’ someone is at PS, morphs always look jarring, I personally don’t even like RL scenes behind an SL avatar because of this, but in the case of a morpher that disjointedness is multiplied x 1000.
4) They often involved taking an existing artwork without permission, nuff said really, search flickr and you will see a lot of deviantart artists work ripped and bastardised, with 100s of commenters telling the morpher how fucking marvellous they are, and what a great artist they are, seriously?
5) They are ugly, stop it. – Search flickr for SecondLife and you will invariably see lots of morphs, and I’m embarassed on your behalf, are we really that lacking in creativity that we have to resort to morphs? What must people outside SL think of us when they see these things, and see how many people love them?